Wednesday, November 30, 2011

86. Goodbye and Hello

Goodbye and Hello
Tim Buckley
1967

Tracks
1. No Man Can Find The War
2. Carnival Song
3. Pleasant Street
4. Hallucinations
5. I Never Asked To Be Your Mountain
6. Once I Was
7. Phantasmagoria In Two
8. Knight-Errant
9. Goodbye And Hello
10. Morning Glory



Amanda: First of all, isn't Buckley adorable?  I mean, look at him up there!  I didn't do an album yesterday so I am trying to do two today but my bed is looking more and more appealing.  I have been talking about bands trying to imitate The Beatles.  Now we get a guy trying to be more like Bob Dylan.  I think this guy is infinitely better than Dylan.  Yes, he is not as well-known (I am a sucker for the underdog) but he is extremely talented.  His voice is great but unique and his songs are interesting without being confusing.  If I had one complaint, it would be that some of his songs are too long, but that might just be because I want to finish two tonight.  Wonderful album.

RATING: Album units, you disgust me.  Four albums.



My review, of course, has nothing to do with his sexy, curly hair.:)

Brie: You're a sucker for the underdog? You favor the Beatles, the most popular band of all time, over the less mainstream Bob Dylan!
It's hard not to appreciate this album. That is, unless you are annoyed by his voice like some people are. I, for one, think his voice is beautiful. I really loved "Pleasant Street" and "Morning Glory". Now this was when songs were about what it meant and the words. Buckley is a genius songwriter and he passed that on to his, probably more well known (at least in modern times) son, Jeff Buckley. It is unsettling how both Tim and Jeff died untimely deaths. Tim apparently died of an accidential drug overdose.

RATING: 4/5

I saw a picture of Tim Buckley that looked like James Franco -- the evidence is piling up!!!

1 comment:

  1. Several powerful songs and vocal performances on this album, and intriguing lyrics too. Buckley's falsetto on "Knight-Errant" is a bit weird, but what an amazing song. "No Man Can Find the War" and "Pleasant Street" also great. And he was only 20, crazy talented.

    ReplyDelete