Sunday, November 6, 2011

74. The Yardbirds

The Yardbirds
The Yardbirds
1966

Tracks
1. Lost Woman
2. Over, Under, Sideways, Down
3. The Nazz Are Blue
4. I Can't Make Your Way
5. Rack My Mind
6. Farewell
7. Hot House Of Omagarashid
8. Jeff's Boogie
9. He's Always There
10. Turn Into Earth
11. What Do You Want
12. Ever Since The World Began
13. Psycho Dasies


Amanda: It is 6:56 in the morning right now.  On a Saturday.  I am sitting here waiting for my best friend Mara to get here so that we can commute together.  She is coming at 7:15 so I figure I have time for this.

So The Yardbirds! I started this album last night but my sister is visiting so I got a little off track.  These guys are fun.  I mean, I am not saying they are the most talented or entertaining band I have ever heard, but they were still enjoyable (deja vu; did I say this already?).  I can't really remember the tunes to any of their songs.  I think I liked the second track just because it was pretty familar.  I hadn't ever heard of The Yardbirds before this though.

Sidenote: this album is really short; the songs are like two and half minutes each.  Which means I still have time!  I should go finish Queen Christina...

RATING:

Brie: The Yardbirds recorded this album after Eric Clapton left them. And let me just say that they certainly were better off without him. Clapton was replaced by Jeff Beck. Now, I am not going to pretend that I am an expert on guitar players or anything, but I liked Beck's work a lot better than Clapton's. This album is kind of hard to describe; it has a punky 80s feel (Joy Division-esque) with a splash of blues and psychedelia. The Yardbirds also sounded like a jam band at times. I came across another one of their albums while reading about this one online: Live at BB King Blues Club. The album is such fun to listen to, you will get lost in the awesomeness of Jeff Beck. The only song I felt was out of place was "Turn Into Earth" which had something resembling monks chanting. Kind of bizarre.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. The band is good, I liked Jeff Beck on this. Good bass lines on "Lost Woman". Too bad the rest of the album didn't live up to the first three tracks. They needed better material to work with, most of these songs are pretty underwhelming.

    ReplyDelete