Wednesday, November 9, 2011

75. Wild is the Wind

Wild is the Wind
Nina Simone
1966 (will 1966 ever end?!?!)
File:Ninasimonewildisthewind.jpg
Tracks
1. I Love Your Lovin' Ways
2. Four Women
3. What More Can I Say
4. Lilac Wine
5. That's All I Ask
6. Break Down And Let It All Out
7. Why Keep On Breaking My Heart
8. Wild Is The Wind
9. Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair
10. If I Should Lose You
11. Either Way I Lose


Amanda: This is one of those albums that the book feels like it must defend, and that always makes me nervous.  Apparently, a lot of people dislike this album because of its inconsistencies.  Simone bounces from genre to genre as if she was challenged to touch on as many as possible.  I didn't mind that so much; her voice is what annoyed me.  I usually like a voice that is different but her's was like a mix of a man's and a woman's.  I didn't feel like it fit the songs.  None of the tracks really stood out for me either.  I liked the message of "Four Women" but hated the melody. I did really like "What More Can I Say" but this didn't make up for the rest of the album. This was disappointing, because we haven't listened to a woman in a really long time and I was looking forward to it.  Oh well, we can try again tomorrow.

RATING:

The piano was pretty beautiful.

Brie: Man, this is the first women artist we have had in what seems like forever!!! I went back through the book and the last female singers were in the Mamas and the Papas (if that counts). And if you don't count them, it goes back two years in 1964 with Dusty Springfield. Egads! We need some more representation!
Onto the review. I really wish Nina Simone would stick to one style/concept per album. Now, I realize that this album is a compilation, but all of her albums were like that. Nina was so indecisive; she experimented with jazz, broadway, gospel, folk, and pop music. Her voice takes a few minutes to get used to, but after that I decided that her voice has a lot of character and is very expressive. I really loved "Four Women". Jeff Buckley does an amazing cover of her song "Lilac Wine", which I absolutely recommend. "Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair" was another one of my favorites. Those were pretty much the only highlights for me.

On the plus side, though, Nina did a lot of awesome Bob Dylan covers. (See below.)

RATING:


1 comment:

  1. Nina Simone had an impressive voice and great at conveying emotion. Quite unique. The songs on the first half are very good, then I found the second half rather dull except for the last track. "Lilac Wine" and "Either Way I Lose" are great songs and productions.

    ReplyDelete