Thursday, November 10, 2011

77. Chelsea Girl

Chelsea Girl
Nico
1967

Tracks
1. Fairest Of The Seasons
2. These Days
3. Little Sister
4. Winter Song
5. It Was A Pleasure Then
6. Chelsea Girl
7. I'll Keep It With Mine
8. Somewhere There's A Feather
9. Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams (And Dream Your Troubles Away)
10. Eulogy To Lenny Bruce


Amanda: I have officially joined Nico's team.

I can see why a lot of people love her and I can also see why people would hate her.  But, yes, I am a Nico supporter.  And no, it is not just because I thought The Royal Tenebaums was a really good movie (anyone get the reference?).  Even people that dislike her unusual voice must admit that the song lyrics and melodies are beautiful.  "Winter Song" and "Fairest of all the Seasons" are unlike anything I have ever heard before. I admit her voice takes some getting used to.  At first, you are like "why is this woman singing?" but as the album progresses it becomes more and more apparent that everything just works.  Truly an amazing experience.

RATING:

Brie: I was familiar with Nico from her work with the Velvet Underground, but I wasn't really a big fan until I heard this album. "Chelsea Girl" is truly a masterpiece. I guess you either love or hate her voice, but I love it. And the music was just incredible! It was pop-folk with strings and flutes. It is very difficult to describe how amazing "Chelsea Girl" is, so you will just have to listen to it. :)
I loved the line in "Fairest Of The Seasons" that goes "Do I stay or do I go and do I have to do just one". Joy Division also did a pretty cool cover of "These Days". Ever once in a while a song comes along that changes me, and changes my way of thinking or my perception. Right now, "These Days" is that song. There is this great line that goes "Please don't confront me with my failures, I have not forgotten them". Breathtaking. "Little Sister", "Winter Song", "It Was A Pleasure Then", "Wrap Your Troubles In Dreams" and "Chelsea Girls" are all at the end of The Velvet Underground & Nico album. "Chelsea Girls" was composed by the members of the Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, John Cale and Sterling Morrison, and offered a detailed account of life at Andy Warhol's Factory. *Sighs dreamily*. You should have seen my face when I realized that there was a Bob Dylan song on here. :) I loved Nico's version of "I'll Keep It With Mine", and I usually don't like covers of Bob's songs.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. Right after I've bashed Astrud Gilberto for her English delivery, along comes Nico. But hers is infinitely more interesting. This album has some amazing songs which are enhanced by string and flute arrangements. They counter the starkness of her singing. John Cale's songs on side 1 are a bit shaky for me, but I liked the rest a lot.

    ReplyDelete