Wednesday, November 30, 2011

85. Headquarters

Headquarters
The Monkees
1967

Tracks
1. You Told Me
2. I'll Spend My Life With You
3. Forget That Girl
4. Band 6
5. You Just May Be The One
6. Shades Of Gray
7. I Can't Get Her Off My Mind
8. For Pete's Sake
9. Mr. Webster
10. Sunny Girlfriend
11. Zilch
12. No Time
13. Early Morning Blues And Greens
14. Randy Scouse Git



Amanda: I find it really funny how many bands try to imitate The Beatles.  I mean, I really don't blame them.  But this album is basically a carbon copy.  Notice they are imitating The Beatles not Bob Dylan.  So there, voters!


The Monkees are even more of a joke than Paul Revere and the Midnight Riders.  They were a band in a television show, but then decided to really try to be a rock and roll group.  They were entertaining but not enough to make me a fan.  They also weren't very original, which I hinted at above.


RATING: Again, the album units fail me.  Three.


"Zilch" gave me a headache.

Brie: The Monkees are known as one of the most fabricated bands of all time. But with Headquarters they played their own instruments and wrote their own material, so it was basically their breakthrough album. "You Just May Be The One" was delightful, yet frivolous. The whole album was just easygoing pop music (like the Beatles) so if that's what you're into...

RATING: 3/5

In 1967 the Monkees outsold the Beatles and Elvis Presley combined.

1 comment:

  1. The opener "You Told Me" is a great track, even if it's based heavily on The Beatles' mid-60's pre-Pepper sound. And "You Just May Be The One" is also very good. However, Michael Nesmith's songs are the only interesting thing about this album. I found the rest pedestrian, and Davy Jones a lame singer.

    ReplyDelete