Thursday, November 10, 2011

78. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles
1967

Tracks
1. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
2. With A Little Help From My Friends
3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
4. Getting Better
5. Fixing A Hole
6. She's Leaving Home
7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
8. Within You Without You
9. When I'm Sixty Four
10. Lovely Rita
11. Good Morning Good Morning
12. Day In The Life

Amanda: The pressure is on to like this album!  Even people who aren't die hard Beatles fans love this one.  Frankly, I would fear for my life if I had never heard of this album, and I am so relieved that I finally listened to it from start to finish.  Other internet bloggers are scary when it comes to this stuff!

That being said, this album is hard not to love.  I can't really point to a single track that has a notable flaw nor can I point to a favorite track because they are all so fucking fantastic.  The vocal harmonies are perfected and the lyrics are genius.  I love The Beatles no matter what year we look at but I can still admit they really have evolved since With the Beatles.  You can tell they have gotten more mature and thoughtful.  I love my boys.

RATING:  (you counted correctly)

VOTE BEATLES!

Brie: Sgt. Pepper's is definitely an improvement from With The Beatles. I'd have to say that it is my favorite Beatles album we have listened to so far. I think it is also the most extravagant Beatles album ever. My favorite tracks were "With A Little Help From My Friends" and "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds". I have a friend who hates the Beatles. And when I asked her why her reasoning was "Well, John Lennon wrote 'Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds' and it's about LSD". That was all she could come up with. Come on, at least I have better arguments. However, I really enjoyed this album and plan to add it to my iPod. I don't think the Beatles were the greatest group ever, though. Sure, they were revolutionary and all that jazz, I just can't connect with them in the same way that I do with other artists. I was more touched by Nico's album than this.

RATING:

2 comments:

  1. Just kidding.

    Sgt. Pepper is in fact the best music ever made. At times it sounds experimental, but also refined because they took the time to polish the sounds. This music is rich and intricate in ways never heard before. The drum fills are amazing, plus the polished vocal harmonies and melodic basslines make it enjoyable on a whole other level.

    ReplyDelete