Friday, November 11, 2011

79. Electric Music for the Mind and Body

Electric Music for the Mind and Body
Country Joe and The Fish
1967

Tracks
1. Flying High
2. Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
3. Death Sound Blues
4. Porpoise Mouth
5. Section 43
6. Super Bird
7. Sad And Lonely Times
8. Love
9. Bass Strings
10. Masked Marauder
11. Grace


Amanda: I am in a really good mood tonight.  Modern Family, Survivor, Psych, and pizza!  What more can a girl ask for (several hundred things just popped into my head)?  You have probably heard that this album is really trippy.  You don't need to be on LSD to enjoy it though.  As far as psychadelic rock goes, I found this album tame, although the song "Super Bird" is pretty wild.  This song just bags on Lyndon B. Johnson, who my dad really likes (though not as much as Regan).  I appreciate the liberal propaganda in this album.  In a high school world studies class, I was one of two people in all of Mr. Landsberg's classes to be in the -10 to -5 range on the political spectrum (the other guy was a communist).  Definitely worth a listen.

RATING:

 
Brie: I, too, am very liberal (farther left than Gandhi). Love a good protest album. There is something for everyone on this album; blues, folk, rock, psychedelic, it's all good. The only complaint I have is that "Section 43" went on forever. Electric Music for the Mind and Body could be considered a large component of the Summer of Love soundtrack and the theme for the hippie generation. I have live albums from Woodstock, and the Country Joe and the Fish songs are incredible. They played "Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine". This album is definitely an essential for anybody's music collection. I have to agree with Amanda that it seemed kind of tame as far as psychedelic rock goes, but that is probably just because I've heard Jimi Hendrix.  
RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I found this needed to be played real loud, consequently I didn't mind the loudness of the guitar in the mix. Especially since the guitar playing is one of the best things about the album. I could have done without the screechy organ and harmonica at times. Overall I liked the album. "Death Sound" is good blues. These guys can play.

    ReplyDelete