Thursday, November 10, 2011

76. Beach Samba

Beach Samba
Astrud Gilberto
1967!!!!!!

Tracks
1. Stay
2. Misty Roses
3. Face I Love
4. Banda
5. Oba, Oba
6. Canoeiro
7. I Had the Craziest Dream
8. Bossa Na Praia

9. My Foolish Heart
10. Dia das Rosas

11. You Didn't Have to Be So Nice
12. Não Bate O Coração


Amanda: I just read a review of this album from a guy I really respect and he completely trashed it.  He also said that it was lounge music for the braindead.  This kind of sucks, because I was going to say it was nice lounge music.  Wait...

Well, whatever, I liked it.  I cannot speak Portugese so in some of the songs she could have being saying anything she wanted.  I found her voice very soothing and the duet was adorable.  I really liked the track "Dia das Rosas" (which I think means I Think of You).  I mean, I would lose instantly in an argument against the actual merit of this album (just like I lose my Dan Brown arguments) but make it your guilty pleasure album!

RATING:

Brie: I for one thought Beach Samba was kind of mediocre. It was 'hotel lobby' music.There were some highlights, such as "Stay" and "Dia das Rosas". Astrud Gilberto has such a beautiful voice. I do not know why this album of hers was chosen to be in our book, because she made much better music. I find it hard to listen to music in languages which I do not understand, so that might have contributed to my not liking this album.

Observation: Every Portugese/Brazilian album in our 1001 Albums book got really bad reviews from people who speak Portugese.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. The strings and orchestration annoyed me, though the flute was kind of nice at times. Astrud isn't much of a singer, and her English enunciation is poor. The album only has a couple of bright spots when she stops trying to form words, on "Bossa Na Praia (Beach Samba)" and "Não Bate O Coracão".

    ReplyDelete