Wednesday, October 19, 2011

72. Psychadelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators

Psychadelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
13th Floor Elevators
1966

Tracks
 1. You're Gonna Miss Me
2. Rollercoaster
3. Splash 1
4. Reverberation (Doubt)
5. Don't Fall Down
6. Fire Engine
7. Thru The Rhythm
8. You Don't Know
9. Kingdom Of Heaven
10. Monkey Island
11. Tried To Hide


Amanda: This album is the birth of acid rock, which I must admit, isn't a genre that I have frequently listened to.  I have actually never been a fan of drug induced works (I don't even like Alice in Wonderland).  The idea of not being in control of my reality has always freaked me out.  Of course, this sentiment might have more to do with...um...past experiences that I don't want to dwell on.  Let's move on!

Overall, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  It was very rhythmic and a lot less overwhelming than I feared it would be.  I had kind of a long day and Sarah Palin-ed it up by making up a new word, much to my embarrassment (manomphony).  I really needed something to unwind to, and surprisingly enough this album fit the bill.  Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover (even if you can judge how much it costs, according to Mary Stuart Masterson).

RATING:

Brie: This album is majorly insane. In the best way possible. It basically set precedent for acid rock, psychedelic and garage rock, influencing such bands as Primal Scream. You might think I am joking, but I am not, when I say that The 13th Floor Elevators used an electric jug. An electric jug! I wonder how many other bands in history have done the same.

"You're Gonna Miss Me" and "Fire Engine" were the stand-outs for me. I would definitely reccommend listening to this album. For lack of a better word, "The Psychedelic Sounds Of The 13th Floor Elevators" was fun. The 13th Floor Elevators broke up not too long after achieving success, unfortunately. But the music they did put out was pure gold.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I liked their sound enough to keep me interested, though it gets to sounding kind of samey after a while. Lots of reverb and electric jug. "Roller Coaster" was the most interesting for me. I like "Slip Inside This House" from their second LP and "Livin' On" from their third. I'd recommend a compilation that has these instead of just their first album.

    ReplyDelete