Tuesday, October 11, 2011

69. Freak Out!

Freak Out!
The Mothers of Invention
1966

Tracks
1. Hungry Freaks Daddy
2. I Ain't Got No Heart
3. Who Are The Brain Police
4. Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder
5. Motherly Love
6. How Could I Be Such A Fool
7. Wowie Zowie
8. You Didn't Try To Call Me
9. Any Way The Wind Blows
10. I'm Not Satisfied
11. You're Probably Wondering Why I'm Here
12. Trouble Every Day
13. Help I'm A Rock
14. It Can't Happen Here
15. Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet


Amanda: When I read about this album, it seemed like Frank Zappa was so pleased with himself for being different and controversial that he could barely contain himself.  Of course, that turned me off because I have always preferred the casual edginess of someone like John Lennon (will we ever get through these posts without a Beatles or Bob Dylan reference?).  But I have to give Zappa props; this album is extremely different that what we have been used to.

With this album, there were no harmonies or casual, light-hearted love songs.  The instruments were really jarring, and vocals were very unpolished.  I did enjoy the song "Go Cry on Someone Else's Shoulder".  Their anti-government message was something that people of our age have heard many times before (in fact, I think it is considered cool now for young people to be anarchists) but it must have been a shock in 1966.  Overall, interesting but did not make a huge impression on me.  So there, Zappa.

RATING:

Hated the last couple of songs.

Brie: It was certainly an abnormal collection of songs. "Go Cry On Somebody Else's Shoulder" and "Wowie Zowie" sounded like something you would hear in a diner or at a 1960s school dance. "Who Are The Brain Police" was bizarre. "Help, I'm A Rock" and "The Return Of The Son Of The Monster Magnet" were also weird and obnoxiously long. Also, the chanting of "help, I'm a rock," really began to annoy. How profound. On the up side, though, I enjoyed "Trouble Every Day" for its bluesy influence and use of the harmonica.

Frank Zappa said, "Each tune had a function within an overall satirical concept."

I just feel like I cannot give Freak Out! a proper review because it was so different than everything else we have been listening to from this period in time. I can't draw any comparisons. Except to maybe Radiohead, but I'm getting a bit ahead of myself on that one. 

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. This is a mixed bag. The first track "Hungry Freaks, Daddy" is inventive and great. Then the rest of the disc turned out to be mostly social satire and musical parody, with spotty musical quality - though a few of the songs are okay. And then "Trouble Every Day" is quite good on the second disc. The percussion on the final track is interesting. "Experimental rock" I could hear some of this again.

    ReplyDelete