Sunday, October 2, 2011

61. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds
The Beach Boys
1966

Tracks
1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe
3. That's Not Me
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
5. I'm Waiting for the Day
6. Let's Go Away for Awhile
7. Sloop John B.
8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There's an Answer
10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times

12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline, No


Amanda: We are on an excellent roll here.  I mean, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, and The Beatles?  I am really paranoid that these enjoyable albums will reach a screeching halt with Fred Neil.  We will have to see!

I had never seen this side of The Beach Boys before.  I thought all their songs sounded the same and were only to be used in surfing montages.  This album, however, is poetic, beautiful, and innovative.  "I Know There's an Answer" is completely different than "Wouldn't it Be Nice" though they are both wonderful.  I am like the girl at the 75 minute mark who sees a different side of the guy when he talks to a little boy who is comically wise for his age.  I watch too many movies...

RATING:

Brie: "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was probably the high point of the album, then it was just all down hill from there. "I'm Waiting For The Day" was the only other stand out for me. The harmonies on "You Still Believe In Me" went on for an annoyingly long time.

Most Beach Boys fans ignored/hated this album when it came out in 1966. They didn't like that the Beach Boys were helping to create a new sound for pop music. This album set the bar higher as far as the standards for pop music went at the time. I guess Brian Wilson felt inspired by the Beatles' Rubber Soul, so he took on the challenge to try to create something better. I personally still prefer Rubber Soul. I really respect the Beach Boys for their song writing and innovation, but their music just isn't for me.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. This album has many "holy crap" moments where I'm taken aback by the brilliance or pure bliss of it. Such as the key changes and backing vocals 2/3 of the way through "That's Not Me". Or the entire track for "Don't Talk". Actually I find Pet Sounds phenomenal all the way through. It's so rich with fascinating and unusual sounds, and unexpected vocal shifts. Plus every song is great.

    ReplyDelete