Wednesday, October 5, 2011

66. Face to Face

Face to Face
The Kinks
1966

Tracks
1. Party Line
2. Rosie Won't You Please Come Home
3. Dandy
4. Too Much on My Mind
5. Session Man
6. Rainy Day in June
7. House in the Country
8. Holiday in Waikiki
9. Most Exclusive Residence for Sale
10. Fancy
11. Little Miss Queen of Darkness
12. You're Lookin' Fine
13. Sunny Afternoon
14. I'll Remember

Amanda: Our sixty-sixth album in 1966.  My mind just exploded!!

This album is an attempted replica of the works of The Beatles.  Of course, this isn't a bad thing.  If I was part of a band in the 1960s, I would attempt to copy the works of The Beatles and The Beach Boys; we all know how successful they are.  This album was entertaining and most of the songs are interesting, particularly the one about Hawaii.  I have always a dream of moving to Hawaii, even if it was just for a year.  What a fascinating culture that I know absolutely nothing about.  We will see if that dream is ever realized.  Anyways, this album was really enjoyable.  However, I have to give a zero on the innovation scale.  Like I said, they are major copycats.  At least they chose to copy geniuses.

RATING:

Brie: As Amanda said, the Kinks are basically a blend of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Beach Boys. The album was pure fun; not that there's anything wrong with that. It doesn't really stand out to me as one of the greatest albums of all time, especially after some of the masterpieces we have reviewed already. I guess it was a fad in 1966 to have a song with some kind of Indian influence on your album. For the Kinks it was "Fancy". My favorite songs were "Sunny Afternoon" and "Rosy Won't You Please Come Home". Some people consider Face To Face to be the first pop/rock album, which is pretty neat. I think it is in our book because it kickstarted the Kinks successful period. So, I liked it but my mind wasn't blown.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I was going to say I like this album for the songwriting but it wasn't well produced or mixed, sounded pretty crappy actually. Then I realized my mistake was listening to this in stereo. Turns out the mono mix is much better, and with it the performances are equally as good as the songs. Particularly Nicky Hopkins on keyboards. Now I think this is a great album.

    ReplyDelete