Thursday, October 13, 2011

70. The Aftermath

The Aftermath
The Rolling Stones
1966

Tracks
1. Mother’s Little Helper
2. Stupid Girl
3. Lady Jane
4. Under My Thumb
5. Doncha Bother Me
6. Goin’ Home
7. Flight 505
8. High And Dry
9. Out Of Time
10. It’s Not Easy
11. I Am Waiting
12. Take It Or Leave It
13. Think
14. What To Do


Amanda: I think I mentioned in a previous post that people have told me I would love The Rolling Stones.  Frankly, I am insulted.  It is universally acknowledged that the first Rolling Stones album sucked, but I happened to despise this one as well.  It was long, the lyrics were completely forgettable, and the songs were really sexist.  I did enjoy a few of the songs like "Out of Time" but it went on for around five minutes and it was not worth it. The book said that this was the Stones' version of A Hard Day's Night in terms of the songwriting and success.  I think The Beatles should be insulted just as much as I am.

RATING:

Brie: "Stupid Girl". Really, Rolling Stones? I now hate you. I hated your first album, and I now hate this one. *Crosses her arms in defiance* What's even worse is that our 1001 Albums book marks "Stupid Girl" as one of the notable tracks. Uh, I beg to differ.

"Lady Jane" was an okay ballad, but it wasn't mind blowing. The Stones go up a level in my book for using a harpsichord, though.  "Under My Thumb" might be even more sexist and offensive than "Stupid Girl". Also, bonus points for the harmonica on "Doncha Bother Me". "Goin' Home" was okay, but, come on, eleven minutes?!? It's no "Desolation Row". I think it is actually the Rolling Stones' longest song to date. The album got better as it progressed.

I want to love you, Rolling Stones. But I can't.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I suggest looking at the sexist lyrics as a wail of desperation in the face of changing times. And a way to bolster their bad boy image. From today's vantage point it actually seems like self-parody.
    As for the music, the album is very good. But I found that several songs don't measure up to the high standard of the best tracks on here. "Under My Thumb" is the crank up the volume track. They also play some great rock on "Flight 505", sounds like something Chuck Berry could have written.

    ReplyDelete