Sunday, October 2, 2011

60. Revolver

Revolver
The Beatles
1966

Tracks
1. Taxman
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. I'm Only Sleeping
4. Love You To
5. Here There and Everywhere
6. Yellow Submarine
7. She Said She Said
8. Good Day Sunshine
9. And Your Bird Can Sing
10. For No One
11. Dr Robert
12. I Want to Tell You
13. Got to Get You Into My Life
14. Tomorrow Never Knows


Amanda: I am a little embarrassed about the confusion on this blog.  I am sorry; I know the poll has been a bit cryptic.  You are not supposed to vote for your least favorite artist.  You are supposed to vote for you favorite.  I apologize for all the confusion and I am sure our followers will remedy it in no time.

Moving on, this is really a revolutionary album.  I despise the song "Yellow Submarine" though.  Making these songs was so complicated (they required very creative guitar playing) that The Beatles never performed this album live.  They played the guitar and then played it backwards apparently.  I love it!

RATING:

Brie: I can safely say now that I am a Beatles fan. Their earlier music just didn't live up to the hype, or more importantly, my expectations. I really liked the last Beatles album we reviewed, Rubber Soul, which showed a lot of progress, and I loved Revolver. When this album came out in the sixties, it was unlike anything people had ever heard before. I loved the Indian influence on songs such as "Love You Too". Go George! The best Beatles song we have listened to up to this point is defininitely "Eleanor Rigby". I also loved "Here, There, and Everywhere". I think we have to give a little bit of credit to Bob Dylan here, though. I mean, he did introduce the Beatles to drugs. Without marijuana or LSD, this album and the albums that followed would not have been possible. So, you're welcome. I can't wait to listen to Revolver again!

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I see this as essentially an experimental album, where The Beatles try out or invent several musical styles. I find it all great, though somewhat bleak at times. The inventiveness and musicianship kept me interested in songs I've heard too many times before. Vocals are a bit spotty in parts.
    Favorite track: "Taxman"

    ReplyDelete