Thursday, October 6, 2011

67. If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears

If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears
The Mamas and The Papas
1966

Tracks
1. Monday Monday
2. Straight Shooter
3. Got A Feelin'
4. I Call Your Name
5. Do You Wanna Dance
6. Go Where You Wanna Go
7. California Dreamin'
8. Spanish Harlem
9. Somebody Groovy
10. Hey Girl
11. You Baby
12. In Crowd


Amanda: One of the season premieres of the once beautiful show, Lost,  included the song "Make Your Own Kind of Music" by Mama Cass.  Ever since that episode, that has been my "jam" and it always makes me feel better. I expected to fall in love with this album and it fell very short.  I was familar with the song "Monday, Monday" (I hated school so much when I was younger that my mom once said it was my theme song).  This album sounded a lot like The Beach Boys, with the only difference being the presence of two women in the band.  That was kind of refreshing.  When was the last time we listened to a woman?  Was that Joan Baez?

Mediocre at best.  You are certainly not going to wow the cafe crowds by pulling out a reference to The Mamas and The Papas.  Still, sometimes we are in a cheesy mood and must listen to, read, and watch trash.  If you feel like that, then this is the album for you!

RATING:

Brie: I disagree with Amanda. I will agree that this album has its low points (there could not have been more appalling versions of "Do You Wanna Dance" or "Spanish Harlem") There are many high points. For example, "Straight Shooter", and "Go Where You Wanna Go". Even though I have been way overexposed to "California Dreamin'", I still enjoyed listening to it. I like the Mamas and The Papas harmonies much better than the Beach Boys. John Phillips was such a great songwriter! "Go Where You Wanna Go" and "The In Crowd" were both songs were about nonconformity. Who doesn't love that? Yes, it is cheesy, but it embodies the freewheelin' spirit of the sixties! I do have a lot of hippie tendencies... so if you are not in touch with your inner hippie, you will most likely not agree with my review. Whatever. I am not ashamed of liking this album.

RATING:

1 comment:

  1. I agree a couple of the covers suck, but I liked the other three so that's a win. Particularly "The In Crowd" and the backing vocals on "I Call Your Name" impressed me. The harmonies on this album are so intricate, they must have prepared a lot to pull it off. I don't find this music dated or cheesy at all, I think it sounds timeless.

    ReplyDelete