Tuesday, October 4, 2011

65. Black Monk Time

Black Monk Time
The Monks
1966

Tracks
1. Monk Time
2. Shut Up
3. Boys Are Boys And Girls Are Choice
4. Higgle-Dy-Piggle-Dy
5. I Hate You
6. Oh How To Do Now
7. Complication
8. We Do Wie Du
9. Drunken Maria
10. Love Came Tumblin' Down
11. Blast Off
12. That's My Girl


Amanda: If you have never heard of this group, do not be surprised.  The Monks were an early punk band who never hit it big in the states.  They don't exactly have the sound that would strike a lot of peoples' fancies; forgive the early 1700s term (I am reading Tom Jones).

This album had a really new sound, not just for people in 1960s but for me as well since I am not a huge punk fan.  I really got into though.  It made me want to push or kick something (in a good way if that is possible).  They were really anti-Vietnam which is always appreciated by a pacifist.  Very enjoyable especially after Bob Dylan.

RATING:

Brie: Even though "Monk Time" protested the war in Vietnam, it was far from a serious album. It was full of nonsense and loud instruments. I really liked on "Monk Time" (the song) when the singer shouted about his protest to the war. That was pretty cool and unexpected.  "Drunken Maria" was also enjoyable.The Monks were actually a group of ex-US servicemen, so go figure. I couldn't really put my finger on exactly how to describe this album... I would say that it is 'radical' if that word can be applied in the political sense and the slang term simultaneously. "Monk Time" was even more punk than the Sonics, but I think I like the Sonics better. Don't get me wrong, I like punk (Patti Smith is one of my faves). I just liked the Sonics' songs more.

It wasn't my favorite, but I didn't hate it. I am very tired and feeling a bit under the weather today, so I probably would have enjoyed it more if I wasn't feeling so run down.

RATING:

By the way, sorry I couldn't be more articulate, as I said I am very, very tired.

1 comment:

  1. There are some interesting parts on side 1, eg. "I Hate You" (but call me). By side 2 I became tired of their sound, it gets repetitive (and grating). This stuff is truly wild and subversive, but also limited. A couple of bonus tracks contain better attempts at songwriting: "Love Can Tame The Wild" and "He Went Down To The Sea" (1967 single).

    ReplyDelete