Saturday, July 2, 2016

481. Beauty and the Beat

Beauty and the Beat
The Go-Gos
1981














Tracks
1. Our Lips Are Sealed 
2. How Much More 
3. Tonight 
4. Lust To Love 
5. This Town 
6. We Got The Beat 
7. Fading Fast 
8. Automatic 
9. You Can't Walk In Your Sleep 
10. Skidmarks On My Heart
11. Can't Stop The World


I have made a fantastic start on my "listen to an album a day" resolution by skipping the past four days.  I just had a hard time bringing myself to listen to an album titled "Beauty and the Beat" especially when I knew that it contained the song "We Got The Beat" (is it playing it your head now?  I apologize).  But I must soldier on, and this actually wasn't quite as cringeworthy as the title suggests.

So yes, some of the songs have been overplayed, most notably "We Got The Beat" (sorry again).  I am not sure it would have annoyed me so much if I hadn't hurt it roughly a hundred times before.  But I shouldn't fault the band for their own popularity.  Some of the other tracks were actually quite good, and had an edge that I didn't expect.  I also appreciated hearing a female group, as most of this List is a total sausage fest.

The next album on the List thankfully isn't a pun, so I will probably get back here tomorrow.

RATING: 3/5

3 comments:

  1. Never heard "We've got the beat" before. Can you belive it? Anyway, I love the album now! It so full of energy! I have even made it a place in my favorite playlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought these songs were fun and loved the female energy. I thought this was a really good album!

    ReplyDelete