Monday, June 20, 2016

478. Kollaps

Kollaps
Einsturzende Neubauten
1981













Tracks
1. Tanz Debil
2. Steh auf Berlin
3. Negativ Nein
4. U-Haft Muza
5. Draussen Ist Feindlich
6. Hören Mit Schmerzen
7. Jet 'M
8. Kollaps
9. Sehnsucht
10. Vorm Krieg
11. Hirnsäge
12. Abstieg and Zerfall
13. Helga


Well, that was...well that just wasn't music, was it?  Music has notes.  This was noise and sound effects.  I am sure everyone has a slightly different definition of what constitutes music, but you have to draw the line somewhere.  Some of these "songs" sounded like the "musicians" were simply banging pots and pans together (did that sentence have enough sarcastic air quotes?).  And we all eat it up, naturally.

Anyway, I am not trying to make you feel bad if you enjoy this.  I just can't fathom why you would or how any of these sounds could be remotely pleasing to the ear.  Maybe that's the point.  Maybe the anger behind this album shouldn't be dressed up in pretty rhymes and melodies.  Maybe of the point of any music is to communicate an emotion and should feel raw.  

All right, I gave it a shot.  I still think that creating something like this is easy.  Creating something beautiful on the other hand...that's the tricky part.

RATING: 1/5

In case you guys haven't noticed I hate industrial music.

3 comments:

  1. You answered your own question and nailed it on the head."Maybe the point of any music is to communicate an emotion and should feel raw." You bring up an interesting point as well when you say they were "simply banging pots and pans together". I love the sound of pots colliding. Such a beautiful clang. Another way to look at it is that a band like this is free from the confining ideas of what constitutes a traditional instruments. You have to appreciate a group that can stretch beyond those borders. Should all "great" music be played only by people who have studied musical technique and be able to play long drawn out guitar arpeggios? Sometimes that can be really indulgent too (see Steve Vai).

    So the question remains....who wins the battle for the bottom, Einsturzende Neubauten or Throbbing Gristle? What say you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I laughed at your pots comment. I guess it is just completely arbitrary what sounds please us and which sounds don't. And you're right although there are certain punk bands I like that don't have great skills with instruments. Hmmm that's a tricky question. I think I hate Einsturzende Neubauten because at least Throbbing Gristle created something that hadn't been heard before. But I have a feeling the Butthole Surfers will triumph over both of those albums for bottom place.

      Delete
  2. I am curious as to what you will say about Juju as I know you have mixed opinions on Post-punk. Let's see...

    ReplyDelete