Thursday, June 9, 2016

476. Arc of A Diver

Arc of A Diver
Steve Winwood
1980















Tracks
1. While You See A Chance
2. Arc Of A Diver 
3. Second Hand Woman 
4. Slowdown Sundown 
5. Spanish Dancer 
6. Night Train 
7. Dust


So today I woke up to a barrage of new comments on this blog!  The usernames and comments varied, but they all pretty much had the same general "you suck" thesis.  I don't know if someone got some sort of gang together to reply to my blog (presumably you all have Duck Stab t shirts).  First of all, I am flattered that you would take the time out of your day that would normally be devoted to kicking puppies or writing long social media posts about how misunderstood Trump is.  In any case, I suppose I should address some of the delightful insights that were shared with me this morning.  I have now listened to a total of 476 albums.  Yes, I would call that expanding my musical horizons.  I have never pretended to be a musical expert, but I am still allowed to have my own opinions that don't completely match yours.  Especially when we are on MY blog.  If anyone wants to discuss music in a polite way (if you are incapable of doing this yourself, look to commentator Ray for guidance) I am here.  Any more troll comments will be swiftly deleted, so you might want to  just save your insults for Reddit.   Also, as a side note, we have such little time on this planet and such little influence on other people.  Do you really want to waste the tiny impact you can have on others' lives by eviscerating a twenty year old because she didn't like some Residents album?  I suppose that is between you and your parole officers.  Anyway, on to Steve!

I'll be short with the review, as I took up so much space already by being sassy.  I read another review of this album where they compared the songs to "bad sitcom themes from the 80s."  That is a fairly accurate assessment.  But hey, tackiness can be fun and it was actually quite refreshing to hear from a musician that didn't seem to take himself so seriously.  Some of the songs were quite catchy and while I am not sure this album is worthy of its place on the List, it was still an enjoyable forty minutes.

Tomorrow: The Pretenders!

RATING: 4/5

6 comments:

  1. Nice one.. feisty come back!
    Hey, I used to have this Album and really liked it .. so nice to see it included. I've just about given up looking on here as I assume anything produced from the 80's onwards I will never have heard of ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray! I let my sassy flag fly. And I feel the same way; I don't recognize any of these albums anymore.

      Delete
  2. I have come to solve the mystery for you. A link to your blog review of "Duck Stab" by the Residents was posted in a facebook Residents fan group I subscribe to. That is how I found my way here and it looks like others have found you too. I have been reading this blog for about two days now and I am a bit addicted to it. The thing that fascinates me most is that you and I have almost mirror opposite music tastes. Don't believe me? Here are some of my all time favourite records: 1.)Pere Ubu- Dub Housing 2.) The Fall- Live at the Witch Trials 3.)Captain Beefheart- Trout Mask Replica 4.) The Stooges- Fun House. Also, I'm a huge jazz and funk fan and listening to Elton John makes me want to puke. (We actually do have common ground though. I love Nico, David Bowie, and the Beatles as well). I think I am going to enjoy chatting about music with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Attagirl! That's how you talk the talk!
    I skipped the Duck Stab album because I couldn't find it at the time. Now, after reading your post, I am afraid. :S
    Regarding Steve's album I've got a kick out of the line "I can feel the beat like a Spanish dancer" XD
    That's certainly not me I can tell you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't anger the Duck Stab Heads. They are vindictive!

      Delete
  4. I LOVED YOUR RESPONSE TO THE HATERS! Sorry I yelled, but really, really? I sort of remembered this album, but visited itunes to refresh my memory of exact songs a bit. OMG Back to high school/college, bars and dancing. Fun album.

    ReplyDelete