Monday, June 13, 2016

477. Pretenders

Pretenders
Pretenders
1980














Tracks
1. Precious 
2. Phone Call 
3. Up The Neck 
4. Tattooed Love Boys 
5. Space Invader 
6. Wait 
7. Stop Your Sobbing 
8. Kid 
9. Private Life 
10. Brass In Pocket 
11. Lovers Of Today 
12. Mystery Achievement 



I really did not anticipate liking this one, as the way the female vocals were described online made it sound like it was going to be another Slits album.  Fortunately, I really liked this one and some of the songs even managed to find their way on my playlist.  

As soon as the first track played, I knew I was experiencing something special. It is not without its faults; the middle certainly drags on a bit with nothing extraordinary to offer.  Still, I loved "Precious"; it felt so spontaneous, as though she was improvising as she went. I also liked/related to "Stop Your Sobbing" and "Brass in Pocket."

So to the commentator that said I hate everything, while that is mostly true (not just for albums but in general), I am capable of adoration.  Especially when it comes to funky females with unusual voices.

RATING: 4/5

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait for your review of "Kollaps" by Einsturzende Neubauten. My question for you to consider before you write the review is this: Which do you prefer, the "einsturzende neubauten" or the "throbbing gristle" that you reviewed earlier (and why?)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so happy I happened upon your blogs and a reminder about this album. I had forgotten about The Pretenders--I can't believe it. I thought they were great! Fun reviews here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im so happy I happened upon your blogs and a reminder about this album. I had forgotten about The Pretenders--I can't believe it. I thought they were great! Fun reviews here. :)1001guide

    ReplyDelete