Tuesday, January 29, 2013

315. I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight

I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
Richard and Linda Thompson
1974














Tracks
1. When I Get To The Border
2. The Calvary Cross
3. Withered And Died
4. I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight
5. Down Where The Drunkards Roll
6. We Sing Hallelujah
7. Has He Got A Friend For Me?
8. The Little Beggar Girl
9. The End Of The Rainbow
10. The Great Valerio


What a beautiful album that was.  It was quite a shock to me that I liked it; I figured a husband/wife team wouldn't be anything special.  A lot of people hate Richard Thompson's voice but I thought it worked with the music and that the whole thing was wonderful.

Get out the tissues, though, with this album; it is a kind of love child between Nico and Leonard Cohen in terms of despair.  I mean, just look at the track titles: "Withered and Died" and "Little Beggar Girl".  I know a lot of women who hate listening to any sad songs, but if you don't hear this album, I think you are really missing out.  

England is my favorite country in the world but there is a dark side to it that is explored in this album.  What more can I say?  Listen to it on a rainy day and get ready to feel!

RATING: 5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment