Tuesday, February 5, 2013

316. Winter in America

Winter in America
Gil-Scott Heron and Brian Jackson
1974














Tracks
1. Peace Go With You, Brother
2. Rivers Of My Fathers
3. A Very Precious Time
4. Back Home
5. The Bottle
6. Song For Bobby Smith
7. Your Daddy Loves You
8. H2Ogate Blues
9. Peace Go With You Brother


I started this album a week ago and only just finished it today.  I enjoyed it, but it was quite a lot to take at once; it is an extremely angry album.

This is a brilliant mix of jazz, soul, and blues.  In fact, some tracks even felt like the beginning of the rap genre.  The music is quite beautiful, I was sometimes lured into thinking that this was a pleasant album.  However, when you listen to the lyrics, you realize Heron is condemning America for the treatment of African Americans (can't say I blame him).  "H20gate Blues" is a particularly angry track that is not that hard to interpret as a criticism of the entire government.

A very beautiful, I could listen to his voice all day.  Even if he is mad at me.

RATING: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment