Tuesday, November 13, 2012

296. Next

Next
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
1973












Tracks
1. Swampsnake
2. Gang Bang
3. Faith Healer
4. Giddy-Up-A-Ding-Dong 
5. Next
6. Vambo Marble Eye
7. Last of the Teenage Idols


This album was really hit and miss.  At times, I absolutely hated it.  Then there were those few good tracks that I could see putting on my iPod.  Then I hated it again.

I actually expected this album to be awful.  I had never heard of Alex Harvey and these track names are completely ridiculous.  Maybe that is partly why I am giving this album a semi-positive review.  At least it exceeded my expectations.

I listened to this album pretty intently and the lyrics are nothing to get excited about.  First of all, a lot these songs are covers.  In addition, I found the song "Gang Bang" pretty upsetting (can you guess why?).  A lot of people think that track is hilarious.  Either I am a total buzz kill or they are sick.  Probably both of these things.

However, some of these songs are pretty fun.  "Faith Healer" is actually pretty catchy and so is "Giddy-Up-A-Ding-Dong".  I do have a problem, though, with this being listed as an album you must listen to before you die.  I am pretty sure I could have lived without it.  In fact, I think everyone has been living without it and is doing just fine.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment