Saturday, September 15, 2012

286. Mott

Mott
Mott The Hoople (wtf does that mean?)
1973












Tracks
1. All The Way From Memphis
2. Whizz Kidd
3. Hymn For The Dudes
4. Honaloochie Boogie
5. Violence
6. Drivin' Sister
7. Ballad Of Mott The Hoople (26th March 1972 Zurich) 
8. I'm A Cadillac/El Camino Doloroso
9. I Wish I Was Your Mother


Now, this is a strange one.  I think they were trying to imitate David Bowie.  It reminded me of when I listened to the Monkees and you could tell they were trying their best to sound like The Beatles.

All in all, Bowie is not the worst person they could try to model themselves after.  I mean, if they were trying to imitate Frank Zappa, I would have to pitch myself off of the highest building I could find.  Still, I think they should try to find their own "sound"; they were very talented but lacked originality.

Don't get me wrong, this album is entertaining.   But I am sure there were tons of copycats during this era trying to capitalize on Bowie's success.  Do they really deserve a place on the list?

RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. They were actually musical associates...
    Released September 8, 1972:

    All the Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople
    Produced by: David Bowie

    Saxophones, backing vocals, track 3 (title track): David Bowie

    ReplyDelete