Wednesday, May 16, 2012

191. Bryter Layter

Bryter Layter
Nick Drake
1970

Tracks
1. Introduction
2. Hazey Jane II
3. At The Chime Of The City Clock
4. One Of These Things First
5. Hazey Jane I
6. Bryter Layter
7. Fly
8. Poor Boy
9. Northern Sky
10. Sunday



The theme of 1970s solo work seems to be whining.  This album really reminded me of John Lennon's album a couple albums back.  At least this album seemed to be a bit more self aware; the song "Poor Boy" seems to be making fun of himself.  Apparently he was pretty upset that every virtually ignored Five Leaves Left.


Nick Drake has a really soft, sexy voice and it is never better than in this album.  The instrumentals were really cool; I felt like I should be sitting at a bar waiting for an assassin or something.  Overall, a little obnoxious but Drake had his fair share of problems so I really didn't expect anything more.


RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment