Friday, December 23, 2011

90. The Who Sell Out

The Who Sell Out
The Who
1967

Tracks
1. Armenia City In The Sky
2. Heinz Baked Beans
3. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand
4. Odorono
5. Tattoo/Radio London
6. Our Love Was
7. I Can See For Miles
8. I Can't Reach You
9. Medac
10. Relax
11. Silas Stingy
12. Sunrise
13. Rael 1



Amanda: This is actually one of the rare "funny" albums on the list.  The Who recreate a radio program, complete with random jingles and songs.  I really like themed albums (who doesn't?).  We listened to My Generation a little while ago, and I thought that it was fantastic.  However, this album brings something new to the table.  I think this idea for an album is a great concept but easy to get hung up on.  However, The Who pulls it off nicely.  "Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand" is worth listening to, even if you don't want to commit to the entire album.  Lovely job, boys.

RATING: 4/5

Brie: I think The Who is one of my favorite groups we have reviewed so far. The Who Sell Out is a jab at consumerism and advertising. The whole album was basically a piece of pop art (which I love). The songs are just incredible. I can only imagine being alive in 1967 and hearing this album for the first time. The Who were on a whole different level than anyone else at the time. Except maybe Pink Floyd. You should listen to the whole album, but the highlights for me were "Tattoo", "Our Love Was", "I Can See For Miles", and "Sunrise". Pete Townshend wrote most of the songs on the album, and the ones he did not write were of poor quality. Well, they were okay but paled in comparison to Townshend's masterpieces.

RATING: 4/5

1 comment:

  1. Quite a step up for The Who, demonstrating that competition and high taxes can work wonders. This album has several great songs - e.g., "Can't Reach You". Some parts were later reworked into new songs for Tommy. The bonus tracks contain some songs that seem good enough to be on the album, but strangely were never released until the 1995 reissue. Particularly "Glittering Girl".

    ReplyDelete