Tuesday, December 20, 2011

88. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears
Cream
1967


Tracks
1. Strange Brew
2. Sunshine Of Your Love
3. World Of Pain
4. Dance The Night Away
5. Blue Condition
6. Tales Of Brave Ulysses
7. Swlabr
8. We're Going Wrong
9. Outside Woman Blues
10. Take It Back
11. Mother's Lament





Amanda: I hate the name of this band.  Cream.  What does that even mean?  They probably thought this sounded so cool even though it means absolutely nothing.  A better question than wtf  does that mean? would probably be why I am getting so worked up about it?  That punctuation was all over the place. It has been a long week, ladies and germs.


I thought this album was kind of a yawn.  For acid rock, the songs were incredibly slow not to mention rather unoriginal.  Apparently, this album is pretty much the definition of psychedelic rock, but I have enjoyed plenty of albums of this genre a lot more.  Blah.


RATING: 3/5

Brie: This album is basically what I think of when psychedelic music is mentioned. I have to say, I am a fan of Eric Clapton's bluesy guitar. Our book says that it "opened the doors to many future musical genres". Yeah, yeah, whatever. That doesn't mean we have to like it. All of you Jimi Hendrix fans have Cream to thank. Hendrix was really inspired by their work. If you have never heard the song "Sunshine of Your Love", where have you been? Ginger Baker's singing on "Blue Condition" didn't do it for me. His voice was too monotone with no personality or unique qualities to it. I did, however, like "Tales of Brave Ulysses", as it is very poetic.

According to Wikipedia, "SWLABR" could mean 'she walks like a bearded rainbow', or 'she was like a bearded rainbow'.

So, for those of you psychedelic rock fans, I'm sure this album is a big deal for you, but it just isn't my preferred genre.

RATING: 3/5

4 comments:

  1. Awww cummon .. whaddya mean ' I hate the name of this band. Cream. What does that even mean? ' Cream .. cream means .. well the cream .. you know, the best. As in milk, cream floats to the top. As in Crem d'la crem etc .. ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww cummon .. whaddya mean ' I hate the name of this band. Cream. What does that even mean? ' Cream .. cream means .. well the cream .. you know, the best. As in milk, cream floats to the top. As in Crem d'la crem etc .. ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it meant something more sexual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the psychedelic parts of this album, especially "World of Pain" and "Tales of Brave Ulysses". But it's all interesting because the musicianship is so good. Clapton sounds better than ever before, he found the right band to play with. And the drumming is mesmerizing. Ginger Baker is listed as the third greatest drummer of all time by Rolling Stone.

    ReplyDelete