Friday, December 23, 2011

89. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Pink Floyd
1967

Tracks
1. Astronomy Domine
2. Lucifer Sam
3. Matilda Mother
4. Flaming
5. Pow R Toc H
6. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk
7. Interstellar Overdrive
8. Gnome
9. Chapter 24
10. Scarecrow
11. Bike



Amanda: Although I do enjoy discovering new bands and artists, I love listening to the classics.  I have always seen Pink Floyd shirts and have heard references to their music (American Beauty, anyone?).  Before today, I couldn't name one of their songs.  Embarrassing!


Anyway, I hated it.  This was disappointing.  I am just so sick of acid rock, and I feel like they didn't do anything original.  Oh well.  I always have liked the people who like this music.  I will have to find other things in common with Kevin Spacey.

RATING: 2/5

 
Brie: Pink Floyd are like the London version of the Grateful Dead. I like The Piper at the Gates of Dawn much better than any other psychedelic music we have listened to so far. When this album came out in 1967, it was like nothing else on the music scene at the time. Overall, I liked the album, but some of the songs (like "Interstellar Overdrive") could get redundant. Sorry about that, I know everyone says "Interstellar Overdrive" has amazing guitar playing or something, but I don't have enough knowledge in that area to make an intelligent statement about guitar technique.  My favorites were "Flaming" and "Pow R Toc H". Most of the time I am a fan of songs with lyrics, but I really preferred the instrumental tracks on this album.

I know there is this big 'thing' among Pink Floyd fans, or just music fans in general, about who the best leader of the band was. Syd Barrett, David Gilmore or Roger Waters. I don't have enough knowledge about or exposure to all three of them, so as we listen to more Pink Floyd, we can discuss the pros and cons of each further.

RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. Here is a most playful album, inventive and unique sounding even today. I like the weirdness and musical complexity. The songwriting is good in a subtle way, you have to listen for it. I think this is a great album and too bad they couldn't do more with Syd Barrett in the band. But the mostly improv "Interstellar Overdrive" is junk.

    ReplyDelete