Saturday, November 9, 2013

344. Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd
1975













Tracks
1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond 
2. Welcome To The Machine 
3. Have A Cigar 
4. Wish You Were Here 
5. Shine On You Crazy Diamond


It's been a long time since we heard from Pink Floyd and now they give us one of those albums that you know, even before listening to it, that it has probably been labeled a masterpiece.  Fortunately, I liked it, although music critics will still no doubt think I am an idiot for not liking it for the right reasons.  God, I hate these non existent people I am talking about right now!

Anyway, this is probably the most normal Pink Floyd album I have heard so far.  Normal, for me, meaning an album that does not make me feel like I have been abducted on an alien spaceship with a bunch of teenage boys that are tripping on LSD.  I absolutely loved the song "Wish You Were Here".  I think everyone has someone who they wished lived closer so the sentiment is pretty familiar, but the lyrics were beautiful and unique.  What have we found?  The same old fears.  Wish you were here.  

Well, that didn't quite sound as good without the haunting music in the background.  But hopefully, you get the point.  I never really looked to Pink Floyd for lyrical truth or beauty but this album definitely changed my mind about them.

So a lovely album and one that definitely surprised me.  I think I liked it so much because it was so different than their earlier work; that might be precisely the reason why you don't like if you are a Pink Floyd fan.  Still, worth a listen.

RATING: 5/5




6 comments:

  1. K .. probably the one we can both give major points to. I prefer this to 'Dark side of the moon' . much more heartfelt. May I assume the book tells you what - or rather who - it is about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. K .. probably the one we can both give major points to. I prefer this to 'Dark side of the moon' . much more heartfelt. May I assume the book tells you what - or rather who - it is about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember, I'll have to check!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally with you on "I wish you were here". It used to remind me a different person each time. Now it's always the same one and it has adquired a new level in sadness and desperation. Anyway, there are other great songs here like "Welcome to the Machine":

    "What did you dream?
    It's all right, we told you what to dream."

    ReplyDelete