Saturday, November 23, 2013

346. Red Headed Stranger

Red Headed Stranger
Willie Nelson
1975












Tracks
1. Time of the Preacher
2. I Couldn't Believe It Was True 
3. Time of the Preacher (Theme) 
4. Medley: Blue Rock Montana/Red Headed Stranger 
5. Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain 
6. Red Headed Stranger 
7. Time of the Preacher (Theme) 
8. Just as I Am 
9. Denver 
10. O'er the Waves 
11. Down Yonder 
12. Can I Sleep in Your Arms? 
13. Remember Me (When the Candlelights Are Gleaming) 
14. Hands on the Wheel 
15. Bandera


The idea of having to listen to more honky tonk music after suffering through the Louvin Brothers was almost too much to bare.  However, after listening to this album, even I had to admit that there was something special about this one and maybe even about the whole genre (although I suppose this is more outlaw country than *shiver* honky tonk).

This is a concept album that tells the story of a fugitive on the run after killing his wife, her lover, and some random woman who steals his horse.  The story was actually so popular that a movie, starring Nelson, was made.  Is it possible that the movie didn't completely suck?  I don't know and I don't intend to find out.

I wasn't too crazy about the concept since it sounded like Nelson wanted us to feel sorry for this man, who obviously was a raging monster.  However, I actually liked each song individually.  For instance, the song "I Couldn't Believe It Was True" was poetic and sweet (although that sweetness was slightly negated since he ended up killing his wife but still claimed he wanted her to be happy).

So when I looked at the songs without thinking of the concept I actually liked quite a few of them.  However, when "Down Yonder" started playing, which was a purely instrumental (i.e. banjo) song, I was ready to turn it off.

RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. I like Willie Nelson and he makes me smile. It's always a "feel good" form of music to me. good review!

    ReplyDelete