Saturday, October 26, 2013

343. Horses

Horses
Patti Smith
1975













Tracks
1. Gloria 
2. Redondo Beach 
3. Birdland
4. Free Money 
5. Kimberly 
6. Break It Up 
7. Land 
8. Elegie


Ha!  I actually did this album last night which means no "I am failure" post on Monday and we are sticking with me doing one album per weekend, at least while I am still doing the movie blog.

So I had never heard of Patti Smith and was not even sure if she was a man or a woman when I started listening to the album.  I am grateful for The Book though because, even though it puts me through a lot of crap, it does come up with some great gems, including this album.

I absolutely loved Smith's voice.  It's hard to describe but she had one of those powerful voices that turns one syllable words into two syllables and makes every word significant.  I wouldn't have even cared what she was saying but she happened to have great lyrics.  For instance, "Gloria" has the lyrics: "Jesus died for everybody's sins but not mine/ melting in a pot of thieves/ wild card up my sleeve/ thick heart of stone/ my sins my own/ they belong with me, me."

So a great album.  Go girl power!  Wait, guy power?  No, girl power!

RATING: 5/5

7 comments:

  1. Can't understand how you can like Smith but not Dylan. Granted she has a better voice than Dylan (who doesn't?) but she's nowhere as good as he is when it comes to songwriting, at least his pre-1968 stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hang on .. wrong album. I was thinking this was .. err .. the other one .. You know, the one with 'Because the Night' etc on. I will move on looking for that ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easter. The one I was thinking of was called Easter. I'm not that familiar with 'Horses', but I love Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love "Free Money". Patty is special. She is pure energy and has a voice that can be harmonious even when she is screaming. It reminds me more to Janis Joplin rather than Dylan.

    ReplyDelete