Sunday, April 21, 2013

326. Grievous Angel

Grievous Angel
Gram Parsons
1974














Tracks
1. Return of the Grievous Angel
2. Hearts on Fire
3. I Can't Dance
4. Brass Buttons
5. $1000 Wedding
6. Cash on the Barrelhead
7. Hickory Wind
8. Love Hurts
9. Ooh Las Vegas
10. In My Hour of Darkness


The Book lists this as the first country rock album.  However, we had some Lynyrd Skynyrd before this, which I think definitely counts as country rock.  The Book also says that the worst parts of this album were "I Can't Dance" and "Ooh Las Vegas" which were actually my favorite tracks.  Finally, The Book actually thinks this album is good whereas I think that it was pretty disappointing.

I did initially like this album.  Emmylou Harris, who did the back up vocals, definitely added something beautiful to the album; their voices complimented each other's nicely.  And, like I said, "I Can't Dance" was a fun track that I can definitely relate to and "Ooh Las Vegas" was a nice break after a lot of similar slow songs.

Every other song sounded pretty much the same.  Gram Parsons sang in a slow, mournful voice about either his mother or lost love.  This is one of those cases where I think most of the guy's fame came because of his early death.  I definitely don't think he is a genius.

That being said, it wasn't terrible and I think I would listen to it again. RIP Gram.

RATING: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment