Saturday, April 6, 2013

323. Good Old Boys

Good Old Boys
Randy Newman
1974














Tracks
1. Rednecks 
2. Birmingham 
3. Marie 
4. Mr President (Have Pity On The Working Man) 
5. Guilty
6. Louisiana 1927
7. Every Man A King 
8. Kingfish 
9. Naked Man 
10. Wedding In Cherokee County 
11. Back On My Feet Again
12. Rollin'


After a couple of pretty good albums we dip down again to this album by Randy Newman.  I have several problems with Randy.  I, like everyone else who wasn't around during the seventies, immediately think of his Disney career.  So, needless to say, it is a bit startling to hear the man who did the music for "The Princess and the Frog" say "we don't know our ass from a hole in the ground."  I also listened to quite a few commentaries that Randy did. He seems so pleased with himself that I really don't see the need for anyone else to go to the trouble.

Now, I know that "Rednecks" isn't really a song slamming rednecks or African Americans.  Instead, it is a song slamming liberal people who are just as racist but still look down on Southerners.  I know this, just as I know that the song "Short People" is actually a rant against short people.  Really, I get the irony.

Still, that doesn't mean that I think his songs are in any way clever or necessary.  I still find any song that uses the word "nigger" that many times extremely offensive.  Another one of his songs was "Louisiana 1927" which was a song about a flood in Louisiana and how bad Southern people are at construction work.  This is a relevant song even now, after Hurricane Katrina.  So semi props for that.

So if you want to hear Randy complain about everyone and anyone, get this album.  In the meantime, I hope to god that was the last Newman album, unless we get a soundtrack on the list.

RATING: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment