Thursday, April 11, 2013

324. Natty Dread

Natty Dread
Bob Marley and the Wailers
1974














Tracks
1. Lively Up Yourself 
2. No Woman No Cry
3. Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)
4. Rebel Music (3 O'clock Roadblock) 
5. So Jah Seh 
6. Natty Dread 
7. Bend Down Low 
8. Talkin' Blues
9. Revolution


I am not trying to discount the male species' musical tastes, but I found that most guys' in high school favorite band was either Bob Marley And The Wailers or Pink Floyd.  Though I am sure this isn't true with every guy in high school, this certainly seemed to be the depth of their musical understanding of the guys I knew.  When I was in high school, I used this fact to weasel my way into many guy groups.  Of course, I didn't get go out on a date at all in high school so my data isn't exactly reliable.

But I will save stories about my high school experience for my therapist.  For now, we are talking about Natty Dread.

I do like Bob Marley but I was initially hesitant about this album because I heard that it was his angriest work.  I figured the music would just be a means to get a message across which is never really that enjoyable.

However, this album was just beautiful. First, we have the song "No Woman No Cry" which I think everyone has heard at least once.  The song conveys such powerful emotions that I, baby that I am, began to tear up when he started to sing "Everything's gonna be all right."  My favorite lyric, though, would have to be "my fear is my only courage."  Just beautiful.

Like I said, I had heard this album was very angry but to me, it seemed to convey more sadness and disappointment than anger (except when he started advocating bombing churches; there he sounded pretty pissed).  "Them Belly Full (But We Hungry)" is a new favorite of mine.

In his message for freedom and equality, he never forgets that music should, first and foremost, be enjoyable and catchy.  A new favorite.

RATING: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment