Sunday, April 14, 2013

325. Rock Bottom

Rock Bottom
Robert Wyatt
1974














Tracks
1. Sea Song
2. A Last Straw
3. Little Red Riding Hood Hit The Road 
4. Alifib 
5. Alife 
6. Little Red Robin Hood Hit The Road


That was kind of strange.  I read that Robert Wyatt made this album right after he became paralyzed.  Apparently, he fell out of a window when he was drunk.  Anyway, I imagined I would gain insight into the kind of emotions that he was experiencing at the time.  However, it was pretty much gibberish.

I am not just saying gibberish because I didn't like it.  Actually, much of the album was complete nonsense.  And, of course, that is my major problem with the album.  Wyatt could have really some really beautiful lyrics about his journey.  Instead there was a random poem and a rambling narrative.

However, I did enjoy the music.  The melodies had a haunting quality that almost sounded like Miles Davis.  I did get an idea of the pain and suffering he went through by listening to his music.  Still, I can't go all the way with this one because of the stupid lyrics.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment