Wednesday, June 21, 2017

520. Swordfishtrombones

Swordfishtrombones
Tom Waits
1983














Tracks
1. Underground 
2. Shore Leave 
3. Dave The Butcher 
4. Johnsburg, Illinois 
5. 16 Shells From A 30.6 
6. Town With No Cheer 
7. In The Neighbourhood 
8. Just Another Sucker On The Vine 
9. Frank's Wild Years 
10. Swordfishtrombone 
11. Down, Down, Down 
12. Soldier's Things 
13. Gin Soaked Boy 

14. Trouble Braids 
15. Rainbirds


Well that was a lot odder than I expected.  Many moons ago I reviewed Heart Attack and Vine and, understandably, fell in love with it.  By 1983, Waits had left Asylum for Island Records; perhaps the new label allowed him to do whatever he wanted for the first time.  This album is a lot more experimental than his previous work; I almost didn't recognize him.

I can't say I was 100% behind all of his creative decisions.  I wish he had stuck to more conventional instruments (even Waits can't make bagpipes work).  However, I did like how eclectic this album was, while still remaining strangely coherent.

RATING: 3/5

1 comment:

  1. His stuff was always weird and in the past I have loved his work. Not sure if I would now, but I really got a kick out of him years ago.

    ReplyDelete