Thursday, June 8, 2017

518. Murmur

Murmur
R.E.M.
1983














Tracks
1. Radio Free Europe
2. Pilgrimage
3. Laughing 
4. Talk About the Passion
5. Moral Kiosk 
6. Perfect Circle
7. Catapult
8. Sitting Still 
9. 9-9 
10. Shaking Through 
11. We Walk 
12. West of the Fields


This is another album that's quality is slightly diluted over time; I am sure this would have sounded quite original at the time.  As is, the experience is rather generic now, although "Radio Free Europe" still stands out as a great song.

Of course, I am pretty sure the songwriters admitted that "Radio Free Europe," at least, was mostly babbling and wasn't intended to make any sense at all.  I tend to prize lyrical quality above all else, but I guess when you have a good enough beat it doesn't matter (I Am The Walrus, anyone?).

Next up: The The.  I am already wowed by this band's creativity.

RATING: 3/5

2 comments: