Wednesday, August 6, 2014

367. Songs in the Key of Life

Songs in the Key of Life
Stevie Wonder
1976













Tracks

1 Love's in Need of Love Today
2 Have a Talk With God
3 Village Ghetto Land
4 Confusion
5 Sir Duke
6 I Wish
7 Knocks Me off My Feet
8 Pastime Paradise
9 Summer Soft
10 Ordinary Pain
11 Isn't She Lovely
12 Joy Inside My Tears
13 Black Man
14 Ngiculela-Es Una Historia-I Am Singing
15 If It's Magic
16 As 
17 Another Star
18 Saturn
19 Ebony Eyes
20 All Day Sucker
21 Easy Goin' Evening (My Mama's Call)



Now we finally get an album that most people have actually heard; in fact, it would be almost impossible to have never heard the song "Isn't She Lovely".  Happily, I think we have finally gotten to the point today when everyone realizes it is a song for a baby so everybody can stop playing it at their weddings and looking like morons.

I don't know if any album should be as long as this one.  It is around an hour and twenty minutes which is just way too long for me to listen to anything, even the sweet, sweet sound of Stevie Wonder's voice.

It is kind of a given that this album is beautiful, given the talent of Stevie Wonder.  Before I listened to it, though, I did a little research and after all the gushing I read, I was a bit disappointed.  I suppose it is impossible not to be disappointed when there is that much hype.  Still, was anyone else bored by the end?  Like I said an hour and twenty freaking minutes of the same style and voice!  Am I alone in this?

RATING: 3/5




3 comments:

  1. I think this is a lovely album and I remember the excitement when it came out! I know what you mean about the same style all through, but if you break it up and listen to a few songs at a time...well, it works well that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mostly agree with you, Amanda. It's nice at first but it becomes tiresome by the end. Although it has some surprises (at least for me) like Pastime Paradise which I knew as Gangsta Paradise and had no idea it was an old song. It has been also fun to hear Stevie singing in Spanish. :D

    Btw, people use even worse songs in weddings. Here Every Breath You Take is quite popular and when I try to explain to people what the song is actually about they think I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete