Wednesday, May 1, 2013

328. Go Girl Crazy!

Go Girl Crazy!
The Dictators
1975














Tracks
1. Next Big Thing 
2. I Got You Babe 
3. Back to Africa 
4. Master Race Rock 
5. Teengenerate
6. California Sun 
7. Two Tub Man 
8. Weekend 
9. (I Live for) Cars and Girls


I came to the sad realization awhile ago that sooner or later, I am going to have to face punk music.  Today, that distant dread became a reality.  And while the worst is yet to come, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this album.

All right, so the band is made up entirely by douches.  I mean, the main singer's nickname is "Handsome Dick". And the album cover is..well

While I am not that fond of Handsome Dick's voice (which seems to alternate between singing and talking), some of the songs were actually really catchy.  "Teengenerate" had a great instrumental beginning and everybody has heard "I Got You Babe."

I was expecting to be hit with both racism and sexism.  "Back to Africa" I imagined would make me cringe.  However, pretty much all they say is that they want to go to Africa, so it actually wasn't too bad.  As far as sexism goes, the songs are all pretty much about drinking and girls.  My, how man has evolved.

So I survived my first punk album (although I guess The New York Dolls could have been considered punk).  Not a bad album, though not especially intelligent (i.e. "what I want to do , I do/Who I want to screw, I screw").

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment