Thursday, June 16, 2011

3. Tragic Songs of Life

Tragic Songs of Life
The Louvin Brothers



Brie: This album has been deemed very influential and "a landmark" for country music. I am not a country music fan. I know that is a huge generalization, but I've never heard country music that I like, so to say that this is a pretty good album is a huge step for me. I had never heard any of the Louvin Brothers' music before, and I probably won't add any of their work to my music collection any time soon. The album was okay, I can see why it was influential and all that jazz. It's just not my cup of tea.

RATING: 

Amanda: WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?????!!!!????

Okay, so from this point on I will try to give a rational review about an album that includes one of the most disturbing songs I have ever heard in my life.  The song I am referring to is of course "Knoxville Girl."  The song describes a ruthless murder with no motive.  The speaker tells us how a girl was begging for mercy but he still beat her with a stick and dumped her into a river.  Um, what?!?!?!?  This was not only extremely upsetting to me, but also rather scary for there was no reason for the murder.  Now, there are those that might say that I am taking the song too seriously but what reaction did the singer want us to have?  Were we supposed to brush that off?

Putting aside "Knoxville Girl," (was that a confession?; this should really be investigated) this whole album is a product of little education and "American values." The songs are all pretty much the same melody.  Personally, I am astounded that more people are not disgusted about this.  Especially Brie.  Brie, did you hear that song?!??!  We are going to have to discuss this further next movie night.

RATING: -14,000 albums

1 comment:

  1. The Louvin Brothers - "Katie Dear"
    Standout track from the album Tragic Songs of Life (1956)
    Album 3 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    This album suffers a bit from old age, but it does have character and I enjoyed the vocal harmonies. I don't think I'd need to hear it more than once - except for "Katie Dear" which I consider brilliant songwriting and an interesting story to go with it.

    ReplyDelete