Wednesday, June 15, 2011

2. Elvis Presley (1956)

Elvis Presley
(1956)
Elvis Presley



Brie: I am just going to come out and say that I hate Elvis. His music is so overrated, and I do not understand what all of the fuss is about. Before I began to listen to the album, I anticipated a long, cheesy album. I was wrong. Though it wasn't cheesy as I'd expected, it was quite confusing, to be honest. The album had no theme. As a debut album, I really think that it should have shown a clearer direction as to where Elvis was trying to go. Tell me: is he trying to be a rockstar, a folk/country singer, or what? Sometimes he sounds somewhat Johnny Cash-ish with the way the guitar is played in some songs. We have the typical Elvis songs "Blue Suede Shoes" and "Trying to Get to You", and then we have a load of crap. I literally became angry when I was listening to "Tutti Frutti" as it was the most annoying thing I've heard since I stopped listening to the radio for fear of Kesha and Britney Spears coming on. Overall, the songs were just "okay". I am sorely disappointed, though I didn't expect much.

Later on when I review Bob Dylan albums, I will do so very favorably. People will say: "how can you love Dylan but hate Elvis?" Well, Bob Dylan wrote his own music and did not steal it from black people. Do some research. I simply cannot like somebody who stole music from people.

Also, my first thought when I saw the album cover was: THE CLASH! My theory is that Elvis is another time traveler that we must add to the list of threats as he stole this album cover idea from the Clash's "London Calling". Time travel is a real threat that must be addressed and the public must be made aware!

RATING:

Amanda: I really hope that I am not sorely mocked for this review.  I mean, we all have our guilty pleasures and Elvis is mine.  I think I am allowed this, because I do not watch doctor shows or read a lot of trash.  I was trained to like Elvis from a young age which might explain my obsession.  Our society values Elvis (we had a whole unit on him in sixth grade) so most of us have been socialized to see him as a king (that is not an exaggeration; he is known as the King of Rock and Roll).  I have seen most of his crappy movies and listened to his albums and what can I say?  I love him.

Now, Brie here will remind us that he stole music from people.  But so what?  He does the songs better; have you ever tried to listen to Big Mamma Thornton?  That is not racism; I just don't like to listen to bad singers.  Frank Sinatra stole music from Fred Astaire and we all love "The Way You Look Tonight" the way Sinatra sings it better.

I agree that this album is all over the place.  However, it is lively and made me want to dance (which was unfortunate for anyone who had to see me dance).  It was truly a breath of fresh air after Sinatra's dreary songs.

We do need to address time travelers.  Anyone else think James Franco has been alive like forever?

RATING:

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you Amanda. Elvis forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elvis Presley - "Tryin' to Get to You"
    Standout track from the album Elvis Presley (1956)
    Album 2 of 1001 Albums You Must Hear
    This album is quite weak overall and the book does a disservice in recommending it. Much better is The Sun Sessions, which contains Elvis' 1954 and 1955 singles in which he basically co-invented Rock and Roll along with Chuck Berry. It also has a few of the better tracks from the 1956 album, including "Tryin' to Get to You" which is the only song I really liked from that album.

    ReplyDelete