Sunday, January 19, 2020

571. Talking With the Taxman About Poetry

Talking With the Taxman About Poetry
Billy Bragg
1986














Tracks
1. Greetings To The New Brunette
2. Train Train
3. Marriage
4. Ideology
5. Levi Stubbs' Tears
6. Honey I'm A Big Boy Now
7. There Is Power In A Union
8. Help Save The Youth Of America
9. Wishing The Days Away
10. Passion
11. Warmest Room
12. Home Front


So we already know this man is insufferable based on the name of the album. But as usual, I put my preconceived notions aside and embraced this album with open ears. Or something like that.

I'm not a fan of political songs when they are so heavy-handed. I prefer something much more subtle (and much more moving) like Suzanne Vega's "The Queen and the Soldier." Otherwise, I just feel like I'm being spoon fed propaganda and the music is just a diversion (and not a very good one).

We have some albums on the horizon that look promising, so let's not lose hope. 

RATING: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment