Wednesday, August 23, 2017

524. Hearts and Bones

Hearts and Bones
Paul Simon
1983













Tracks
1. Allergies 
2. Hearts and Bones 
3. When Numbers Get Serious 
4. Think Too Much 
5. Song About the Moon 
6. Think Too Much 
7. Train in the Distance 
8. Rene and Georgette Magritte With Their Dog After the War
9. Cars Are Cars
10. Late Great Johnny Ace


What a mixed bag this was.  On the one hand, you have some decent songs like "Allergies" and "Hearts and Bones." And then you have songs like "Cars Are Cars" that make me doubt whether Simon should have dropped his other half.  Apparently, Garfunkel worked of the songs with Simon. My guess is he heard the Car song and decided to distance himself from the project.

It's a strange choice for the List, as I think this album is considered the lowest point of Simon's career.  I am convinced that the Listmakers periodically like to torture us with bad music so their other picks seem better.  That would explain so much.

RATING: 3/5

2 comments:

  1. Like/Dislike relationship with Paul Simon. Grew up listening to him and Garfunkel, but it was all often too slow for me. Still...the like part will give this ***.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For songwriting I don't think it's a low point at all, I found these excellent. But I need to get to know his other albums better before I can really compare. It did sell relatively poorly.

    ReplyDelete