Wednesday, December 16, 2015

406. Duck Stab!

Duck Stab!
The Residents
1978














Tracks
1. Constantinople
2. Sinister Exaggerator
3. Booker Tease
4. Blue Rosebuds
5. Laughing Song
6. Bach Is Dead
7. Elvis and His Boss
8. Lizard Lady
9. Semolina
10. Birthday Boy
11. Weight Lifting Lula
12. Krafty Cheese
13. Hello Skinny
14. Electrocutioner


I really don't know what to say about this one.  I try and I try with this Book.  But honestly, how I possibly supposed to enjoy this?  For those of you who don't know (oh how I envy your ignorance) this could essentially be described as a horror album.  They speak in cartoonish voices and do their best to scare the pants off of you.  For example, in Birthday Boy the song sounds like the recording of a birthday party where all the guests were massacred.  Ugh.

I looked into this band and I think I threw my neck out rolling my eyes (seriously, if you are not using your neck when you do it, you aren't doing it right).  Apparently this band is an "art collective" which tries to maintain an air of anonymity.  They wear tuxedos, eyeball helmets, and top hats.  They have released over 60 albums, heaven help us, and produce short movies.  Pretentious doesn't even begin to cover it.

I suppose no one actually listens to this music for fun.  There must be something else they get out of it, like when I force myself to watch upsetting documentaries.  I just have no idea what it is.

RATING: 1/5

7 comments:

  1. Oh no! Duckstab is one of the best Residents albums! Its not scary, its happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO the opposite of pretentious. This is pure, original, genius creativity

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you give up on music after one listening you'll miss out on some wonderful stuff. Not all music is immediately accessible like pop music. Some of the best music must be listened to at least three or four times to give it the opportunity to reprogram your brain so you can appreciate it. The Residents music is definitely like that--an acquired taste. I'm so glad I made the effort to get into The Residents; they've been my favorite band for thirty years or so now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You either 'Get it' or you don't.

    ReplyDelete