Wednesday, December 9, 2015

405. Third/Sister Lovers

Third/Sister Lovers
Big Star
1978














Tracks
1. Kizza Me 
2. Thank You Friends 
3. Big Black Car 
4. Jesus Christ 
5. Femme Fatale
6. O, Dana 
7. Holocaust 
8. Kangaroo 
9. Stroke It Noel 
10. For You 
11. You Can't Have Me 
12. Nightime 
13. Blue Moon 
14. Take Care 
15. Nature Boy 
16. Till The End Of The Day 
17. Dream Lover
18. Downs 
19. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On 


I had never heard of Big Star before and was a bit wary of an album that had a song called "Holocaust" on it.  There were a few tracks I could have done without, and quite a few unnecessary covers, but it was overall a lot less frightening that I expected.

Every time I was truly impressed with the lyrics, I would look up the song and it would be a cover.  The band clearly has good taste, as they take songs from Nat King Cole and the Velvet Underground, but I still don't think a 1001 album should have so many unoriginal songs, especially when they weren't doing anything particularly inspired with their source material.

I am bitching quite a lot; I actually did enjoy this album.  The singers certainly have charisma.  And you know what?  "Holocaust" wasn't that bad!  Wait, let me rephrase that...

RATING: 4/5

2 comments:

  1. Yes, the voice and melody are sweet. I like the Femme Fatale's rendition but Kangaroo -which it's actually theirs- can't hold a candle to This Mortal Coil's cover. "Holocaust" is a bad name but I agree with its spirit. I felt like that sometimes.

    All in all, it's a nice album.

    ReplyDelete