Wednesday, March 11, 2015

378. Low

Low
David Bowie
1977













Tracks
1. Speed of Life
2. Breaking Glass 
3. What in the World 
4. Sound and Vision 
5. Always Crashing in the Same Car 
6. Be My Wife 
7. New Career in a New Town 
8. Warszawa 
9. Art Decade
10. Weeping Wall 
11. Subterraneans


I apologize for not posting in awhile, but I have been feeling quite Low.  I also apologize for saying that.  Without this blog, I haven't had an outlet for my terrible puns.  I had surgery in early February which the doctor said would have a weekend recovery time.  Translation: huge fucking nightmare and never-ending pain.  It is my fault for not being fluent in doctor-speak.  You would think I would have a lot of time to listen to albums and write but I have been too busy complaining and taking medication.  

Anyway, I finally listened to this album yesterday and it certainly reignited my interest in this project.  I am not exactly sure how many albums in The Book that Brian Eno has been involved in, but it has to be at least a hundred; his name is always cropping up everywhere. Apparently, the first half of this album is very "Bowie" while the second half has "Eno" written all over it.

In my typical plebeian fashion, I really preferred Bowie's side.  The song "What in the World" really struck a chord with me (more music humor; well, calling it humor might be a stretch).  I probably felt connected to the song since I am stuck in bed all the time and Bowie is describing someone who never leaves their room.  A little on the nose.  Anyway, the second side was a bit more...avant-garde and dare I say, offensive?  One of the tracks sounded like they were trying to do something tribal, which was a little uncomfortable.  Did anyone else feel that way?

Anyway, this album definitely deserves all of the attention it gets.  Bowie continues to impress.

RATING: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment