Wednesday, June 25, 2014

365. Zombie

Zombie
Fela Kuti and The Africa '70
1976













Tracks
1. Zombie
2. Mister Follow Follow


Ladies and gentlemen, I have posted twice in one week.  Don't call me a hero.   If you absolutely have to call me that make sure I am within hearing distance.

After a string of great albums, we get to this one, which was somewhat of a dud for me.  Thirty minutes of essentially the same song was a bit tiresome.  However, with an album like this, enjoyment isn't exactly necessary.

This album evidently criticized the Nigerian government heavily (it's a bit hard to divine this meaning after just one listening).  Consequently, Fela Kuti's mother was murdered and his commune was destroyed by Nigerian soldiers.

I didn't enjoy this album.  However, listening to it, and remembering what it cost to make, is an important experience that I think we should all have.

RATING: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment