Thursday, January 2, 2014

350. The Modern Lovers

The Modern Lovers
The Modern Lovers
1976













Tracks
1. Roadrunner
2. Astral Plane
3. Old World
4. Pablo Picasso
5. I'm Straight
6. Dignified and Old
7. She Cracked
8. Hospital
9. Someone I Care About
10. Girl Friend
11. Modern World
12. Government Center


Happy New Year everyone!  This year's goal is to get to 500 by the end of the year.  We will see how we do.  In the meantime, happy 350th!  I get extremely excited about minor milestones, don't mind me.

This is a strange album, in that it sounds like something that could either have come out in 1966 or, excluding a few of the tracks, 2005.  Actually, this album was created in 1973 but wasn't released until 1976.  On a side note, the trick to be a good writer is to include as many dates as you can into a couple sentence to confuse everyone.

Here a sample stanza from the song Pablo Picasso:


Well some people try to pick up girls
And get called assholes
This never happened to Pablo Picasso
He could walk down your street
And girls could not resist his stare and
So Pablo Picasso was never called an asshole

Um, what?  Is this a common belief that no one thought Picasso was an asshole?  I highly doubt it since most artists are.  It is just so completely random that it baffles me.  And have you ever seen Picasso?  I am pretty sure women could resist him.

All right, so maybe I don't really get the lyrics.  It was still a fun album, with catchy songs.  The lead singer reminded me of Roger Daltry. So another discovery from The List that I never would have heard of otherwise.

RATING: 4/5

Available on YouTube:

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I see what you mean. It's looks like - ¿"hear like"? - pretty modern in some points and a bit retro in others.

    I was surprised to find a song about my compatriot Pablo Picasso so I have investigated a bit and found this piece of an interview:

    "I read about him when I was 18. I moved to New York and was intimidated by these girls who thought were attractive. I was afraid to approach them. I didn't have too high a self-image. I was self-conscious and I thought "well Pablo Picasso, he's only 5 foot 3 but he didn't let things like that other him". So I made up this song right after I saw those girls. You can picture it; I had this sad little look on my face and I was thinking 'Why am I so scared to approach these girls?' That was a song of courage for me. "

    Btw, I'm exciting about milestone, too. Happy 350th (with a delay of 2 years)! This is 2016's me talking to 2014's you. Am I a good writer now? :D

    ReplyDelete