Sunday, September 22, 2013

339. Nighthawks at the Diner

Nighthawks at the Diner
Tom Waits
1975













Tracks
1. Opening Intro
2. Emotional Weather Report
3. Intro
4. On a Foggy Night
5. Intro
6. Eggs and Sausage (In a Cadillac with Susan Michelson)
7. Intro
8. Better off Without a Wife
9. Nighthawk Postcards
10. Intro
11. Warm Beer and Cold Women
12. Intro
13. Putnam County
14. Spare Parts I (A Nocturnal Emission)
15. Nobody
16. Intro
17. Big Joe and Phantom 309
18. Spare Parts II and Closing


I had heard Tom Waits referenced in several tv shows, but I had never a single song of his today.  Oh, I should have appreciated the ignorance more when I had the chance.

First of all, he had one of the worst singing voices I have ever heard.  I can certainly see why it would appeal to some (after all, I love Nico and that is certainly an…acquired taste) but it was so scratchy and deep that I couldn't stand it.

I will give him some props on the lyrics.  One song in particular detailed why he never wants to get married and as someone who is perpetually single, I can relate.

This album was recorded in studio with an audience, which I think was supposed to make it sound like a concert.  The laugh track that went off every time he made a lame joke got extremely annoying; it was like watching an episode of Happy Days.

I don't think this is the last we have seen of Waits and hopefully, he will impress me more next time.

Sorry for the short review; it is Sunday afternoon and I must prepare for the crappy week ahead.

RATING: 2/5


1 comment:

  1. I have not thought of Tom Waits in years! I actually enjoyed him back in the day. I remember the song "The Piano has been Drinking" which I remember thinking was kind of funny. (I actually have the CD with that song on it.)This was from my younger, wilder days, so I may have to revisit him and see what I think now....thanks for the reminder1 :)

    ReplyDelete