Sunday, September 15, 2013

338. The Hissing of Summer Lawns

The Hissing of Summer Lawns
Joni Mitchell
1975













Tracks
1. In France They Kiss On Main Street
2. Jungle Line
3. Edith And The Kingpin
4. Don't Interrupt The Sorrow
5. Shades Of Scarlet Conquering
6. Hissing Of Summer Lawns
7. Boho Dance
8. Harry's House
9. Sweet Bird
10. Shadows And Light


My sister Rachel constantly makes fun of me for liking Joni Mitchell's which is undeniable ahem…a bit pitchy.  However, her voice is in this album is a lot different than in songs like "Carey" or "California" and stays low.  Oh wait, I forgot about the end of "Edith and The Kingpin" which nearly blew out my speakers.  Okay, so let's change that statement "mostly stays low".

This is a really weird album for MItchell.   Most of her songs from "Blue" seemed to be about traveling and loneliness.  While the majority of her songs from this album followed that same line of thought, there were some jarring exceptions.  "Jungle Line" sounded like an Afro-Cuban song and while I have been known to enjoy that genre, it is not genre that I typically associate with Joni and I am not sure it was pulled off particularly well.

However, as a whole, I had a good time with this album.  Listening to Mitchell is always a bit of a sad task, but I love her voice and her lyrics are beautiful.

RATING: 4/5


2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, have I really not commented on this one yet? Another of my personal favourite albums .. and, to me, by for the best Joni Mitchell Album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete